Monday, May 26, 2014

Mammoth Cave, Cedar City

The other day at work the teacher in charge of experientials, which are what the girls do on Fridays instead of school to give them experience in what they learned about that week, asked me if I would do an experiential with the girls where hiking was involved. So today I went to explore the cave that she wants the girls to go to. It was kinda cool. I didn’t know that our red rock mountain had lava on the top of it. The cave that we went to is called Mammoth cave, they are lava tubes I guess. I’m not really sure exactly what they are, I guess that’s what our lessons will be on the week before this activity and I’ll get to learn all about them. I convinced a friend to go with me because well yeah no hiking alone.

The blog I read about the tubes said ‘I had knee pads they were helpful’, when it should have read you NEED knee pads if you like your knees at all. They were really cool and I’m glad I went before taking the girls up there. I there are four tubes to explore but two of them you have to crawl the whole time, we only did one of these, and the other two you can pretty much walk through. I’m excited to come back with girls who aren’t as adventurous as me and Steve and see how they do, there was a really big room a ways in to the big main cave and we turned off all our lights for complete darkness. I’m excited to do this with the girls.

I was having slight camera difficulties sorry some of them are blurry.     

The main cave

The white on the top is ice


Steve looking at the ice on the ceiling



Stalagmites of ice

More ice on the top of the cave


I was trying really hard to not blink. 
I guess I succeeded 

Getting out of the cave















This is the exit to the third tube we did. You could
walk all the way until the very end



Some panoramas just for fun, the first is a
 180* view and the second is a 360* view




No comments: