Monday, August 11, 2014

Iron county museum

Today I went to the Iron county museum with a co-worker to decide what the girls are going to do when they visit on Friday. It was a pretty cool museum as far as museums where you can’t touch anything go. (Oops I forgot there were a few things you could touch, like pan for gold, learn how to rope sheep, how they got minerals from stones, and a few other things you were allowed to touch, but for the most part no tochey)   (let’s be honest the children’s museum in Indiana is pretty much the coolest museum of all time!) The Iron count museum has QR codes throughout it where you can listen to a historian talk about the things you are looking at, and a few stories from people who lived it. It was really really fun to play the sound clips, although I think the group of old people thought we were being disrespectful and playing random things but really we were just learning about how they used to sheer sheep.  I learned a lot about Iron county today and came up with some awesome lesson ideas.  

Now for the pictures


This is a fire engine used in the late 1890's and early 1900's.
They had a 75 foot long hose and held 30-65 gallons of water.
They worked by a mechanism that held bi-carbonate soda and the firemen
would add sulphuric acid to the tank to make the water flow out.
It really only worked when the fire was small. 


This is the sawmill that built Branch Normal School, or SUU
as we now know it. 


This is a snow tank. I don't remember what it's purpose was
but it has a really cool name!


License plate to the above car



This carriage is huge! I tried to get me in it but it didn't turn out very good

I'm standing pretty far away to get the whole carriage in the picture



This was a replica so you could get inside it.
It was very wobbly, I am glad I live with cars.

This is an outside jail, there are 4 beds in this cell.

the top bed is folded out and the bottom one is hooked up right now

Deseret School with a really loud bell outside it. 
Like really loud, remember that group of old people? Well 
the liked me even less after I rang the bell super loud.

The chalkboard has the Deseret alphabet on it. Google it.
Also notice the paddle board next to the chalkboard. 

The dunce cap 

The stairs lead up to the teachers quarters. Man life was simpler
then, I think I would be o.k. with living above where I work.

A train caboose

This is a refrigerator type thing. There was also a bathroom but it
had a Plexiglas type thing but very flimsy covering it and it
didn't allow for very good pictures 


The sign says "Bureau of explosives binder located in desk drawer" 


This had something to do with mining iron
lets call it the 'scooper'

The inside of the scooper

more inside of the scooper


what you can see while operating the scooper


I don't know what cable they handle but they used tongs to do it




These next pictures have nothing to do with the post but those who don't follow me on facebook can now see them.

I spent a day at Brian Head jumping off of a man lift onto a 
giant air bag. It was awesome! 

The map in our geography classroom has the weirdest cities on it.
Like who needs to know where Monticello is? I guess they do have a temple
so they are better than Cedar in that. Wait, Cedar will have a temple! 
(Construction hasn't started, they haven't even said where it's going to be, but there will be a temple)

One of the students at work took my phone off my desk and discovered it was locked
but then she discovered that she could still take pictures, so I got this. 

I did tell her that she couldn't take pictures of people because my phone automatically backs up all pictures to my Google+ so they're easier to share on my blog with you!




No comments: