Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Park and Pipe clinic and first day at my new job

Saturday and Sunday I went to a park and pipe clinic to keep my snowboarding certification up to date. During the clinic after they saw my riding they gave me crazy tasks to do. The craziest thing they said was “o.k. you up for a game?” said at the top of the super pipe (half pipe with 22ft walls)
me- “ummm sure?” 
“k, it’s called death train.”
Me- huge eyes and scared look “ummmm….”
“Here’s what we’re gonna do. I’m gonna start and you follow right behind me, like two board lengths, then you follow right behind her, and you follow right behind him. You have to do exactly what I do the whole ride down. And don’t fall because there are people behind you.”
CRAZIEST thing I have ever done!!!! And remember I jumped off a bridge just because my friends were while in a foreign country. I followed the clinictioner (how on earth do you spell this word? I can’t find it on google) down the half pipe and we went all the way to the top of the super pipe!! If you ever want the biggest adrenaline rush of your life, go full speed down a half-slush-half-ice super pipe and have the tail end of your board go over the top of it with already super tired legs. I got to the bottom and just collapsed. I was also the only one who made it to the end, even though I did crash once I got right back into the train without messing anyone else up. It was insane!!!
During this clinic I also got both my backside and frontside 180’s down to where I could land them every time both switch and goofy. I got more grabs down and even landed a 360!  It was so much fun, and the most tiring two days ever. I can’t wait to go back next year and get my level 1.
 I was also given the best compliment ever, one of the clinictioners (seriously what do you call someone who runs a clinic?) at the end of the day said “Can you loan your 180’s out to some of the guys taking the test tomorrow? Yours are way cleaner and better than most of theirs.” I was blown away by this comment because I felt like I could have worked a little harder and gotten way better.  



Here is a video of me hitting a feature in Neff Land. This was a pretty hard feature to hit because there was no lip, it’s like 2 feet above where the lip would be, and the top of it was sticky since it was so hot.


Do you see that small black spot in the pipe? 
That is a full-grown man!!
Seriously the pipe is huge. 





I started observing the teacher that I will be taking over today. Teaching at the alternative school is going to be way different than teaching at Olympus High. I think I’m going to like it more than teaching at Olympus though. I’ll keep you posted on anything interesting that happens during my time as teacher there. 




No comments: