Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First solo metro ride

So church on Sunday was awesome! Everyone was so nice and it was mostly in English. The Relief Society president, Sister Hicks, told me that on her way to church she was thinking hey since my son is sick today I can give someone a ride home from church. I was extremely happy not to have to walk home since it takes me like 40 min to walk there. While at church they made an announcement about an activity for the Greek holiday Clean Monday. I asked how to get there and the sister missionaries said they would meet me at the metro at Akropoli. I had no idea how to get there so sister Hicks drew me a map of the metro system and how to get to where they would meet.
Monday morning I woke up and started on my first solo excursion into Athens. I could not remember where they told us to buy bus passes and I missed the first bus to the metro. But this nice old lady helped me even though she only knew like 3 words in English and I only know like 5 words in Greek we figured it out and I got on the next bus and made it all the way to the church activity without getting lost! I was really proud of myself.
So the church in Greece is really small. I met these girls there and asked them about how many YSA and YW and YM there were and they were like well were like the only ones in young womens so it’s really small. When I got there and I was talking to people this couple sister missionary from across the room yells over to me you sound like you could be from Utah! I just laughed and she came over and was like I’m from Richfield and I told her where I was from then she goes I made funeral potatoes for today. I was so excited to go hang out with people who didn’t swear all the time. They told me that every Saturday night at 7 they have young adult night. I am excited to go to that on Saturday nights. It will give me a good reason not to go out to bars with all the study abroad students.
I also met a missionary that is from Provo! He said he went to Provo high and I told him where I lived and all the missionaries asked if that was close to the MTC so we explained that if you stood at the MTC gates facing the temple and look at the mountains to the right of the Y that’s where I live.

Sorry I forgot my camera but I will remember it next time for sure. I’ll post pictures of what the church looks like and the views from it they are amazing.


Today was the first day of classes. I went to two classes. The first one had 6 students and the second had 4 but I want to drop that class I was super confused and don’t feel that I would do well in it. I think I would put that homework last and end up never doing it.
Also today I found cheddar cheese. I think I am going to start a list of things I want to eat when I get back to America. I feel like it’s going to be a long long list.
This morning it was snowing when we went to class and
as I was sitting on my bed writing my blog I looked out the window
and it looked so beautiful so here's the picture

No comments: