Sunday, November 30, 2014

Being selfless

Today in Sunday school we had a lesson on president Uchtdorf's talk Are You Sleeping Through the Restoration?  In his talk he says “those who are selfish seek their own interests and pleasures above all else. The central question for the selfish person is “What’s in it for me?”” When I read this I realized that my attitude yesterday was just that. I was wondering why should I do this I’m not getting out of it what I want. Yesterday I had a really hard lesson and afterwards I was in the locker room and my boss came up to me and was like “Wow, you did a really great lesson. I was watching from the deck and you were amazing!” The age split in the lesson was horrible; I had a mom and her 4 kids, ages 6 to 14 and they didn’t buy lift tickets. But I made the most of the lesson and it ended up being a great lesson. I was really bummed because I taught this amazing lesson, the mom loved it and told me how good it was, but I didn’t receive any tips that weekend. All I could think about was why am I putting so much effort into lessons when it seems no one notices, at least not enough to feel it appropriate to tip.
In Sunday school I realized that although I wasn’t getting what I wanted out of lessons I was learning. I am learning how to be patient, I’m learning how describe the same thing different ways, and I’m getting really really good at hiking with my snowboard on. I know lessons are about what’s in it for the client and this lesson was a great reminder to keep on giving great lessons without expecting anything but a thank you at the end.

Here’s my challenge to you: What are you selfish about and how are you going to change? 

No comments: