Monday, March 19, 2012

Disney movies in Greek

On Thursday I met Jenny at church and she introduced me to some former sister missionaries that were visiting from Germany. The sisters had bought some Disney movies. People in Greece aren’t as into seeing the latest movies and watching tv shows every week as Americans and the family from Greece had never seen most of the movies. We watched Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in Greek and after the movie I was hungry. Jenny was hungry too but didn’t want a gyro (its said like euro) she suggested that we go to McDonalds. I was happily surprised to bite into a hamburger and have it taste just like a hamburger from home. I mean it did cost me 3,50€ for a single patty hamburger and medium fries but it was just like home, not made Greek in any way.


The next night I had a conversation completely in charades with the mom while making dinner with her. I later learned that it was a mix of a traditional Albanian and Greek dishes. It was alright, I’m not a huge fan of spinach and it’s pretty much like a spinach pie. This night we watched Tangled, which by the way the titles of movies in Greek are way longer than in America. We watched it with English subtitles for me but I’ve seen Tangled a lot and the subtitles were wrong! Both in words and in grammar.  It made me laugh at a very serious part and the sister missionaries had to explain to this family why I was laughing because the English was even wrong from what they were saying in Greek apparently.    

The next day I went on a hike that the outdoor center at school put on. It was weird. Let’s leave it at that. After I got back from that hike I went and met up with the sisters and Jenny and her sister and watched more Disney movies! This time we watched Up! with no subtitles because I got there in the middle but it was ok because I had just watched up the other night in English. Squirrel! is still just as funny in Greek as it is in English.




I think the literal translation was like High to the Heavens
Sorry for the weirdness of the picture I took it with my Xoom and everything was reflecting off of it.

I am sad to say that Jenny, the one and only person that speaks fluent Greek and English that is understandable is leaving on a mission on Tuesday. I told her that I was going to force her sister to learn better English and make her teach me Greek so that I can still have someone to hang out with at church.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Lauren thinks the title of UP in Greek is funny.

Brittney said...

I think the title of Up in Greek is funny too!