Sunday, March 4, 2012

Delphi and Arachova

On Saturday they took the study abroad students to Delphi and Arachova. It was amazing! I felt a little rushed though, the guide wasn’t as into taking tons of pictures as we were and it seems like he was always way ahead of us. You could have stayed there and heard and read about it for hours. After visiting the ruins of this city we went down to this like little ski resort town and had lunch. Lunch was like a 4 course meal. The Greeks know how to eat. My favorite dish they brought out was a huge red pepper that they stuffed with deliciousness. I don’t know how to describe what was in it I wouldn’t know where to start but it was delicious. After eating we got to go and explore this little town for like an hour or so. I went with a friend and climbed up all these stairs to this church, but halfway up there was a playground and I got slightly distracted. The view from the church was amazing!  It was like a 2 hour bus ride to get there but it was so worth it.

A little bit of history of Delphi. There is a legend that says Zeus released two eagles from opposite ends of the world and that their paths crossed in the sky above Delphi, making this site the center of the earth. It is renowned as the dwelling place of Apollo. People used to come from all over the ancient world to visit Delphi to consult the god on what course of action to take. There were also the Pythian Games held in Delphi.  


I took this picture from another study abroad student she has a really really nice camera and is a much better photographer than I am. I wish I would have taken a photography class before coming.

It was warm and super sunny and I have no clue how people got the mountain to ski or even where the ski resort was. This was like the only mountain with snow on it we could see.

The playground halfway up the steps to the church.

I'm pretty sure you can just add this to you're favorites and it will come up with the new pictures whenever I add more.More pictures here

No comments: