Sunday, June 10, 2012

Last day of church in Greece

Today was my last day of church in Greece. It was just as dysfunctional as ever and perfectly Greek. I will greatly miss the members of the Halandri branch and hope that our paths will meet again in this life but if not most certainly in the next. I knew that every Sunday they would be there to lift me up and help me make it through the next week. They became my family since I didn’t have my family here. They always made me laugh and encouraged me to stay strong amid the hardships of being the only LDS young adult at my school and in the study abroad program. I wouldn’t have ever made it through the semester without them. When I was leaving church they gave me a card and I scanned it and stuck it in my bag and I just took it out and read what they all wrote and it hit me that I may never see these people again and how much they influenced my life and helped me to grow. I know that they worried about me and how I was doing and I felt their prayers. Elder Clark (IDK how he spells his name because I only ever see it in Greek which would be ΚΛΑΡΚ, they don’t have a C in the Greek alphabet) came up to me today and told me how great it was to get to know me and how much he’s seen me grow from the scared, unsure, lost person I was when I got there to someone who knows what they stand for and isn’t afraid to say so. I know I have grown a lot and realized that I leaned on the testimonies around me, whether my family or my friends at school to just do what’s right and now I know that I can stand alone and do what’s right even if everyone around me isn’t I can and will stay true to the faith. I will miss you all and hope that one day we may meet again and marvel at the time we spent together in Greece. I love you all, Ya sou.

Every time I read this card I think I'll cry a little
I will truly miss my Greek/South African/Philippinean/American/Canadian
branch family

No comments: