Sunday, June 10, 2012

Soccer and the Beach

Friday was the euro 2012 soccer kick off game so I went with the other study abroad students to watch the game. They wanted to go watch it in this Irish pub and I really didn’t want to sit at the apartment on my like last Friday night so I went with them. I was happily surprised when the bar actually enforced the no smoking inside rule and all the waiters spoke English and the menus were in English. Greece came up from behind and tied up the game it was really fun to go be a part of this culture. After the game Sam and I went to the outdoor theater and saw The Man Who Knew Too Much. It was really cool sitting outside by the acropolis and watching an old film with all the sounds of Athens in the background.
Saturday we went to the beach and had a blast! I learned that it takes an hour and 45 minutes to get from Glifada to our apartment and that it’s scary when the metro stops in the tunnel and even scarier when you realize you have no minutes left on your phone and the metro still hasn’t moved after 2 minutes. I got home late from the beach and had to take a super super fast shower and get right back on the bus and head to my last Saturday YSA activity. Sister Mower (I am totally guessing on how to spell this in English cause their tags are in Greek) had made sloppy joes, I was so happy! I ate like 5 of them (they were on like rolls not on hamburger buns, come to think of it I haven’t seen hamburger buns here) and a ton of chips. I learned yet another new game. It was an awesome night and will be sad to say goodbye to them on Monday after FHE. I hope I can come back to Greece in like 5 years and see the growth of the church, I hope that all of the current YSA members stay strong in the gospel despite the culture that makes it so easy to just forget the standards and go astray.  

Me and Hanna taking underwater pictures together

Me, Clair(Rebeccas friend from Arizona) and Hanna

No comments: